Content by (S)am
This is a collection of artifacts and experiences (papers, videos, games, etc.) made available for your reference. This index will be simply that – an index – since longer posts about the content will be written under “insights”.
- November 27, 2019: Education: The Next Hundred Years is a roadmap for transforming education using emerging pedagogical and computational technologies. It’s also available on Amazon for Kindle.
- May 2021: Query Strategies for Directed Graphical Models and their Application to Adaptive Testing, describes how to bring together machine learning, computer science theory, and education research to develop scalable and effective methods for generating assessments for new topics. This is an important step forward in education research, as it allows us to easily create (and then use) rigorous measures of learning to evaluate educational interventions, pedagogy, and policy. The thesis defense is also available on YouTube.
- LAK 2020: “Applying Prerequisite Structure Inference to Adaptive Testing”, a paper about inferring prerequisite relationships between assessment items and leveraging those relationships for efficient adaptive testing.
- SIGCSE 2019: “Harnessing the Wisdom of the Classes: Classsourcing and Machine Learning for Assessment Instrument Generation”, a paper about combining bandit processes, information theory, and crowdsourcing in order to quickly generate statistically validated assessments.
- ArXiv 2018: “Personalized Education at Scale”, a brief survey paper summarizing some obstacles and opportunities for Reinforcement Learning to dramatically improve educational outcomes.
- October 21, 2019: “Machine Learning Bootcamp for WHOI” is a collection of notes and exercises used in a 3-day training for the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution.
- September 7, 2019: “Introduction to Number Theory and Python” is an accelerated introduction to computer science with a focus on applications in Number Theory. This course was first run in Fall of 2019.
- May 1, 2019: “Hands-On Artificial Intelligence for Small Businesses” is a video course I created with Packt publishers to help small businesses apply readily available AI techniques to basic business problems.
- November 28, 2018: An interactive discussion of AI created for a guest appearance in a seminar series called “Food for Thought” (they have snacks and interesting multidisciplinary speakers).